Do you ever wonder why certain words were chosen to describe things? This is a weird habit I have - I think about why the word was chosen and then try and figure out the symbolism behind it. Some are obvious; "wind" sounds like the wind, "Spring" sounds like plants springing from the ground, "tired" sounds, well, tired...you see where I'm going with this. I've been wondering this morning why certain words were designated to name the months of the year, and have come to the conclusion that they aren't used so much as an adjective, but more as a verb. "March" is marching into Spring, for example. And "May"? Well, let's see if I can put this in the right context. "May" I please stay up later because it's light out until 10:00 pm? "May" I please wear shorts to school even though it's freezing, just because the sun is shining and there is no snow on the ground? "May" I please not practice my piano anymore because the weather is nice? "May" I please be exempt from my chores because, once again, the weather is nice? Need I say more? My kids love Spring, I love Spring, I just wish they would love doing the stuff that was great to do when the weather wasn't great for doing anything else!
But, in the spirit of the month of May, "may" I also take a minute to post some pictures of the things we've been doing in this great month?
Tony P. has taken on another alter-ego, in addition to his Tigger persona. He is really digging Superman these days, and looks for any opportunity to wear this costume, even if it means he is boiling hot at the park. I've stopped trying to convince him that he will be uncomfortable, because when I fight with him, I'm surely the less comfortable person. He put this get-up on when our great babysitter turned 16, took her flowers, and told her "If I were 16, I'd ask you on a date."
With Spring comes the singing of the frogs. PWL was on a bike ride on the highway behind our house and heard all the frogs singing in a field. He thought it would be a great idea for FHE for us to go catch ourselves some frogs. Surely there would be plenty just jumping around for us to catch? No so much. Not even one frog visible - we've decided they are very good hiders.
Tony P. graduated from his at-home playschool. Hope nobody minds that their kids are in this picture too, but they were so cute and so proud of themselves, I just had to put this up here. This was the best, least out-of-focus picture I had. Getting a bunch of 3 year olds to stand still long enough to take a decent picture can be a bit of a challenge.
Little Ray had to create an "Ecosystem" in a box. She chose Waterton, since she loves it there, and this is what we came up with. (This was hours of work, by the way, which is why I'm putting it on here). The picture isn't all that great, but I think you can see the dead mountain goat lying on the rock with the cougar. The paper mache mountain took a good deal of time, but in the end, she was happy with the result, so that's what mattered. That, and the fact that I got to pretend I was 8 years old again...
It was our town's local music showcase last night, where some of the music teachers in town get together and have their students play. Both my girls played, and were so happy to get to show off their little pieces. I am not having an official recital this year since we are pretty up in the air about Tony P.'s surgery, so this was a pretty good substitute.
Missy Mae played about halfway through the program, and when she got up there, she wouldn't start playing until she made sure I had taken her picture. This is her, posing with her "stage fright" face.
Only one more week in this month of "May"hem (oh man, did I seriously just do that?). What do we have this week? A zoo field trip with Missy Mae's class, swimming lessons also with Missy Mae's class, the final dress rehearsal for the play "Oliver" that both girls are in this summer, the last week of piano lessons, Little Ray's final swim meet, and our choir spring concert! I think at the end of this month, I may be asking for a day off...
"May" I just say that was a very cute entry with very cute kids with a very clever Mom. Love you! :)
ReplyDeleteI love your explanation on the word "May", I think you're onto something there!
ReplyDeleteLook at how cute Tony P. is! What an adorable story!
Looks like you've been busy! Ha! I thought you just sat at home all the time and kept your kids out of activities!!! Ha ha!! When will we learn- we do this to ourselves... about the day off- what should we do???
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful May you have had. Cute pictures, btw i have tickets for June 11. And Steve wore a different costume nearly every day of his young life, i gave in quicker than you, i was tireder, is that a word?
ReplyDeleteMay I tell you how clever, kind, energetic and talented you are? This with no bias of course from your "august" father. :-)
ReplyDelete