CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Little Sap

Today is Valentines Day. I'm sure that does not come as a surprise to anyone who ever shops in a store, but I thought I would begin by stating the obvious. Traditionally I am not a great gift-giver, and this day is no exception. PWL and I don't usually even exchange cards on this day. We have been known in years past to go into the mall on our Valentines date, pick out a great card that we would give to each other if we were going to buy one, and then read the cards, have a laugh, and put them back on the shelf. This is not because we're cheap (about cards, anyway), but because in the past I have never known what to do with the cards once he's given them to me. Do I keep this card that has a clever saying on it, only to throw it away several years later when I'm de-junking a drawer? In order to save myself trying to answer that question, we have eliminated cards altogether. We always try to go on some kind of romantic date, but as far as tangible tokens of our undying love and affection for each other, not really a priority.*
*
I need to insert here that for years, PWL did buy me great gifts for Valentines day, until I insisted he stop. He is a great gift-giver and loves to give presents, but since I could never think of anything to do in return, it was usually pretty one-sided. So the lack of gifts was purely my idea, and sometimes he still just goes ahead and gets me flowers anyway, which I always love, although my practical subconscious often reminds me that they're just going to die anyway. I'm a horrible wife, this I know already.
Anyway, I thought that since I don't exchange cards with my husband, I don't often have the chance to write down why I think he's such a great guy, so I thought I would take advantage of the fact that it is Valentines Day, and do that here. Thus the title, "A Little Sap." Feel free to stop reading here if you're not in the mood, but I promise not to get out of control with the romance.

My husband and I met when we were 12 years old. I was almost a whole foot taller than him then. He was an adorable, skinny, freckled and red-headed kid who teased me mercilessly and wore sweatpants every day. We were not in love. However, we did grow up in the same social circles, and by the time we were old enough to date, we had become great friends, so dating was easy for us. There are advantages and disadvantages to having grown up with your husband, and knowing each other really well is both of those things. He knows pretty much every story about my childhood, and was there for most of my monumental experiences in adolescence, so we don't have to spend time talking about those things. Sometimes there is a bit of a lag in conversation because I'll say, "did I ever tell you about the time..?" followed by silence, because of course he already knows about that time. But I do feel lucky to have known him for so long. As a husband, and as a dad, I feel like I've really lucked out. I have seen how he has adjusted to first being a dad, and then to being a dad of more kids, and he is such a natural, sometimes I think I should work and he should stay home. Our kids have so much fun when he is around. Our daughters think he is the greatest thing walking and our son thinks he is actually a tiger, just made to fight with him. I've seen him evolve as a Bishop, and have gained so much respect for what he has done in that capacity. I watch him as a brother and as a son, and am so grateful that he holds on to his family connections, and tries to provide a listening ear when he can. But most importantly, I am thankful for his constant acceptance of my imperfections and his continuous support of my goals. Never once has he told me he doesn't think something I want to do can't be accomplished, and sometimes my goals are lofty. When I wanted to start a children's choir, he was all encouragement. When I want to put on a play, he is happy to stay home and watch kids so I can go to rehearsals. And when I ask him to perform in that play, he will do that too, although that takes a little more convincing. He is my confidant, my support, and my friend, and on a day where we are celebrating love and friendship, I thought it would only be fitting to say that I love my husband, even without a card.

2 comments:

  1. First off Ahhhhh! second so this is what you do when you are not at church!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers