CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 15, 2010

Drum Circle

Last night after choir we had an amazing experience. My friend & choir president Autumn wrote about it on her blog. Instead of rewriting the whole thing, I'm just posting a link to her blog so you can read it for yourself. I don't know if her blog is private or not, so if you can't read it, I'll summarize just in case.

About 10 of our kids from choir were able to participate in a spontaneous drum circle with African drums and other percussion instruments for 1/2 hour after choir yesterday, and they loved it. I was really happy to have been there. Living where we do, in a smaller community which seems to have a very large emphasis on hockey (don't get me wrong, I love hockey too), finding cultural experiences for my kids has been a little tricky. We are lucky enough to live close to a large city with lots of those opportunities, but sometimes it's nice not to have to drive 45 minutes and have the experience in the town that we live in. I was also so glad I had brought my 12-year-old nephew with me yesterday. He was visiting us just for the day, but sings in a choir in the city he lives in, so thought it would be fun to sing with us for this one practice. Seeing him play the drums with a smile on his face (which is pretty impressive, as far as unemotive 12-year-olds are concerned) was better than any other moment I could have created for him. When it was over, there was this electric feeling in the air, and the expressions on the kids' faces was indescribable. I will never forget that experience, and I hope they won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers