
I know I am not alone in my desperate feeling of helplessness when I watch the news. I see the total devastation the people in Haiti are experiencing, and though I feel such great sympathy for them and want to help, I know I can't really do anything. PWL has been talking to our girls about what's been happening and has been allowing them to watch some footage of the destruction there. I don't know that I necessarily agree with this, as I remember reading about how children were affected by watching footage from 9-11, but I do think it's important for them to know that their world is bigger than what they see around them. They are quite concerned about the children there, as the clip they saw was all about the children who are now orphans. I feel so helpless and wish there was something I could do to assist these children, and I know my girls do too. They were asking if they could send some of their toys to these Haitian children who have lost everything, but when we told them toys weren't really what they needed right now, they asked if there was something else they could do. I suggested that they each fill out a tithing slip at church and give some money in the Humanitarian Aid section, as I know our church is providing assistance there. I wasn't sure they would think that was a good idea, since neither of them have very much money and they like to save what they have, so I left it up to them to decide. But on our way to church on Sunday, they both reminded me of the money they wanted to give, and had brought with them. So after church, they each filled out a slip with their very menial funds, and handed them in. I was so touched by their desire to want to help. I know the money they gave won't count for much, but if it means that they have an interest in helping others, then I feel like it's important. I just wish there was more we could do.



That is awesome that your girls did that......even if I doesn't go far in Haiti, the lesson that they learned and the feelings they felt by giving will stick with them forever!!!
ReplyDeleteEvery little bit helps, Loralee. If no-one donated money because they thought it wasn't enough, charities wouldn't be able to help anyone! I have been hiding in my bubble because it just tears my heart out to sit here helplessly. Maybe we'll have a family home evening on this... some emergency preparedness maybe? :)
ReplyDeleteYour girls are awesome. It's the lesson learned not how much they can give. Besides they probably are better than me they gave probably most of what they had and what have I done? Thanks for sharing it makes you want to do better.
ReplyDelete