CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 6: A Song That Makes Me Cry

Thanks for the comments everyone! Nice to know I'm not the only one reading this, although to be honest I'm having so much fun writing this stuff down that even if it were just for me I would continue. Regardless, thanks - it was a happy surprise this morning.

Before I single out just one song, I have to say that almost every song makes me cry. My girls think it's hilarious to stand beside me at the piano when I'm teaching them a new song, because I always (and I'm not exaggerating here) cry when I hear them sing. I used to think my dad was such a softy because he would tear up when my sisters and I would sing, but now I know exactly how he feels. Music creates powerful emotional responses for me, and when I combine those emotions with the songs being sung by the people I love the most, well, the tears start flowing. I tear up whenever I hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" or "Joy To The World," I love songs by Eva Cassidy (if you haven't heard of her, look her up - she is fantastic), any powerful song from a musical makes a lump in my throat (Miss Saigon, Les Mis, Wicked, The Secret Garden, The Sound of Music, to name a few)...you get the idea. So picking just one is actually really difficult for me, but the one that comes to mind at this moment is the song "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables. Lately we've been listening to the soundtrack from the 10th anniversary performance with our kids, and whenever that song comes on and I'm in the room, I stop whatever I'm doing, sit down, and cry. It's the point in the musical where Jean Valjean is rescuing Marius (a young boy who he doesn't know) after he is wounded in battle. He is carrying him over his shoulders through the sewers so no one finds him, and he is old and tired and can't go any further. He puts him down on the ground and sings this song, which is a prayer to help him return Marius home so that he can live a full life. When he sings "If I die, let me die. Let him live", it is immediate emotion for me. If I did it right, it should be playing first on my playlist right now. If not, try clicking here to watch it on YouTube. Anyway, that's one song, of many choices.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that one gets me every time too. A lot of songs from Les Mes make me choke up. My mom and I listened to the soundtrack while bottling peaches this year (it's tradition) and we were both standing there crying while doing our work. But then Spencer kept jolting me back to reality needing my attention. Great choice of song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did it right, the music came on just as i got to that part. Also a favourite song of mine. He rescued Mariis because the person he loved loved Marius. Isn't that what we do every day as moms, help the ones we love.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song choice! I think when a song is sung with emotion it is hard not to feel that... and when a song is sung by a very talented person it is also hard to be touched by it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers