CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Place I've Traveled To

Here's the difficulty with this: I went lots of cool places in high school, but all of my pictures were pre-digital camera era, and without a scanner, I can't actually reproduce them in a good enough quality to put them on here. Since having kids, my travel life has diminished slightly, and the list (and the digital pictures) are not as substantial. I will say this - being in a choir allowed me to travel to places that I never would have otherwise been able to go, and I will forever be grateful to parents who footed the bill for most of those trips, since I was such a terrible fundraiser. We took two trips to Europe and visited several different countries when I was in high school, creating memories that I will always cherish.

A tiny picture of me and three other choir friends in front of a cool cathedral somewhere in Europe. Where? Don't have a clue.

But6 I think my favorite trip was 6 months after PWL and I were married. He had found some extremely cheap flights to Europe, and for Christmas the first year we were married (even though we had already agreed that on our measly student salaries we wouldn't be doing anything elaborate for Christmas), he gave me a trip. I gave him Wendy's coupons. Not really a fair trade, but I wasn't complaining. We visited his mission, visited his brother and his wife who were living in Holland at the time, and visited his sister who was also living there for a year. It was so great to see where he had been on his mission, and also so much fun to travel with someone who spoke the language and knew where we were going (most of the time). I'm sure his younger sister will laugh when I recount the last night we were there, in Brussels, Belgium, and couldn't find a hostel or hotel to stay in. We were carrying around our huge suitcases, following some girl who spoke remotely good Flemish, wondering if she was leading us to our death even though she said she knew where a hostel was, only to find that the hostel was in fact closed and we stayed at the "Hotel Continental", also known as the most disgusting hotel ever built. It was so gross that I don't think we slept under the blankets, and we left at 2am just to find a place that sold pitas so we wouldn't have to be in the hotel anymore. Ah, the memories. But the rest of the time was great, and I wouldn't trade that trip or the memories associated with it for anything.

2 comments:

  1. I actually laughed out loud reading that you gave him Wendy's coupons when he gave you a trip. That is awesome! I wish Hakon and I could have gone to Norway before starting with kids but I'm sure we will go some day. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on your picture and got it bigger and I must say "Nice!!" What a great opportunity to be able to take that trip together... My hubby served in Utah a bit less exciting but a bit easier to visit more often!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers